OverviewThe aim of this course is to give practitioners and Foster Carers an awareness of what is meant by Life Story Work and the importance of it in the child’s journey. It explores the impact of traumatic experiences on memory and helps Carers to find ways to help the child to collect present memories to shift the balance. It will support practitioners to manage the difficult conversations that Life Story Work sometimes creates for children and young people and explore their own emotions and feeling around having these discussions. Finally it will demonstrate to practitioners the important role they have to play along with other professionals and the child in helping them to fit together the missing jigsaw pieces in the Cared for Child’s Life Story
Who is Life Story Work aimed at?Social Workers and foster carers
Course Length1 day
On completion of the course participants will:-
- Understand the importance of Life Story work and best practice
- Be upskilled to undertaking quality Life Story work using child-centred approaches
- Be equipped with the best practice knowledge, tools and time management strategies and can apply their learning to practice.
- Be able to confidently identify what to say, how much to say and how to express this to younger and older children.
- Have reflected on barriers that have previously impacted on their completion of Life Story work and have identified relevant actions / solutions that will increase the quality and timeliness of Life Story work