OverviewThis course is designed to assist practitioners in their assessments of children’s needs where one or more parent or carer has a mental illness. The training recognises the intricate interplay between parental ill health, parenting tasks and the developmental needs of children.
Who is Assessing the Needs of Children in Situation of Parental Mental Health aimed at?Those in social care working with children where there is parental ill health
Course Length1 day
- Understand what is mental illness
- Discuss how mental illness can affect parenting capacity and children’s development.
- Understand how to use an ecological model of assessment in order to identify the interaction between the needs of children and their parents.
- Develop skills in carrying out assessments that maintain a focus on the needs of the child.
- Explore roles, responsibilities and how to work collaboratively with the multi-agency network.