Having Difficult Conversations with Children and Young People
The aim of the course is to build knowledge, skills and confidence for social care staff to carry out conversations that may be difficult for children and for workers
Pre-Requisite: The Direct Work with Children course is a pre-requisite to this Having Difficult Conversations with Children and Young People course.
Participants will be offered the opportunity to:
- Understand the process and dynamics of communication between child and worker
- Develop reflective and reflexive skills to help managing difficult conversations
- Recognise the times, places and topics where conversations are more likely to feel difficult
- Reflect on why specific conversations may feel more difficult than others
- Apply trauma theory and attachment theory to understand and improve communication skills
- Develop mind mindedness / reflective functioning skills
- Apply systemic theory to tools to ease conversation difficulty.