Working with Emotional Abuse & Neglect – 1, 2 or 3 days
To offer participants an opportunity to develop their understanding of emotional abuse and neglect, and to explore ways to define abuse, assess levels of concern and develop an appropriate inter-agency response.
Participants will be offered the opportunity to:
- Define emotional abuse and neglect within the context of current research and policy
- Recognise indicators of emotional abuse and neglect
- Examine the impact of emotional abuse and neglect on children’s development
- Use attachment theory to understand emotional abuse and neglect
- Understand how attitudes and values can influence responses to emotional abuse and neglect
- Explore thresholds for intervention
- Use appropriate tools to assess the level of concern
- Apply systemic approaches to the analysis of children’s experience and needs
- Use an understanding of resilience to develop effective plans for the individual child
- Apply evidence of best practice and build confidence in identifying child focused and measurable interventions, including parental ability to sustain meaningful change.
A one day course will cover the first four outcomes
A two day course will cover the first eight outcomes
A three day course will cover all eight outcomes