Capturing the Views and Wishes of Disabled Children
This one day course is designed to provide participants with increased knowledge and understanding in relation to communicating with disabled children and young people, along with a greater confidence in using their skills.
Participants will be offered the opportunity to:
- explore a model of engagement and participation for disabled children and young people and how to ensure the Voice of the Child is captured and heard
- understand the barriers to communication and how these may be overcome
- understand a broader definition of communication with a particular focus on non-verbal communication and behaviour
- become familiar with tools and resources available to aid communication including the use of Alternative and Augmented Communication Systems (for example Makaton Signs and Symbols and the Picture Exchange Communication System)
- explore the process of writing a social story and have the opportunity to write one
- communicate more confidently with disabled children and young people.